I am back...! And I'm gonna dive right in.
(caution - wordy)
Did you know that there are medical professionals who actually LISTEN to their patients, then actually treat the symptoms/concerns/problems that are discussed?!
I am not talking about having tests run just to sit in the doc's office to listen to her/him tell you that "the numbers just don't say that anything is wrong." Or, "you must have this because of what the tests said..." Or my favorite, "YOU JUST NEED TO EXERCISE MORE THAN MOST PEOPLE." (pffft)
I mentioned meeting with Esme Anderson at Athena Women's Clinic weeks ago. I have been amazed at the attention and time she has invested in me so far. Our first meeting was to discuss my history and symptoms, and then to decide on what should be tested. Some of these symptoms were ones that I had been excusing due to situations such as fatigue = having 3 kids; always being a bad sleeper, therefore, more fatigue; not being able to lose weight past a certain number due to PCOS...
(12 test tubes of blood later...)
Our 2nd meeting was then to cross reference all of the results with my initial symptoms. Esme explained that anything that feels wrong, if you are listening to your body, is usually because it is unbalanced. With the hard evidence in front of us, that was definitely the case.
*not producing nearly enough progesterone
*not absorbing vitamin D sufficiently
*very low DHEA (called "the mother of all hormones" which controls all the familiar ones)
*former Thyroid meds were NOT doing anything for me... (hence, the continued fatigue)
*still bordering high blood sugar
So, instead of one specific diagnosis, which is what my normal experience has been with docs, Esme formulated a treatment plan tailored just for me! I admit that I was VERY overwhelmed with the amount of prescriptions I had filled. I felt like a mini-pharmacy. But I was also feeling optimistic, which is something I hadn't felt for a long time.
I have been on this new regimen for about 2 weeks. After another week, some of the doses will be increased, and then again one more time before I reach "maintenance" level.
RESULTS?
The first thing I noticed was that I haven't had to crash around 2:00 in the afternoon like I have been EVERY DAY for years. (I blamed working, being pregnant, then having a newborn, then 3 kids... there was always an excuse)
I have also been taking Melatonin to help me fall asleep, and have actually been waking up feeling refreshed. Sure I'd love to stay in bed most days, but that's because my children are SO demanding. I have even been waking up before 6:30 to get some running in. (remember the demon that surfaces when I was awake that early? - Gone!)
I have heard tales of other women Esme has treated and their successes with overcoming weight issues because they had balance restored to their bodies. I am holding on to Esme's optimism for me in that area, because I have tried EVERYTHING (that is healthy/normal) and obviously, nothing. So, we'll see.
**My 5K at Thanksgiving point in now in 3 weeks and I am right on track. So I am very proud of that, and the fact that I have kept with this goal.
More later.
1 comments:
Hooray! I'm so glad you found someone worth finding. :) I can't wait to hear how the Thanksgiving Point race is, do it for me too!
Post a Comment